Thursday, January 24, 2013

Decision Time


My pitch started with a thought that I don't care if the game idea is bad or not but I want to pitch and it ended with I WANT MY GAME IDEA TO BE SELECTED :P. I really thought I don't care whether the game gets selected or not but I thought so much about the game in the 2 days before the decision was going to come out that I got attached to it. After the pitch I thought of so many things that could be done with this idea.

So, it was decision time. Roger, Bob, Craig and Mark (The Selection Panel :P) came to the lab and they said that they would give comments about each of the pitches. They said that my game idea was not new and there are a lot of games that have used shadows for something. Shadows was compared with Curse Of Shadows and they were of the opinion that another game about shadows won't be cool enough. (Shattering sound :P). I expected a lot good from this game idea and I felt that "Ahhh. I am sure it's not getting selected. So just move on and start thinking about other games."

After their comments about all the games, I was just waiting to hear were games were actually selected. And then comes the decision. They don't select the games this time...we do...!!! There should be at least 5 people on one team. As soon as they said this I knew that this is not going to go well. There were 18 pitches and 26 people in the Cohort. So people will have to give up their ideas and join other games. I knew it was going to be a mess.

The mess started right then. People moving it and out of groups. I believed in my idea and I thought I would convince others to make Shadows. But I got no chance to explain how my idea was different or how the team could make it different. 

I chose to be in the race then gave up later in the day. Thought over it again and thought of coming back into the race and finally I gave up again. I thought this was a good thought on their side to let us choose the games we want to work on. But the best thing that could have made the process a lot easier would be shortlisting the games. Shortlisting would have made easier for people to leave their game ideas and join other ideas. If I knew that Shadows does not have any chance, I would have readily and easily joined Cellblock the very first minute after the decision was told to us.

Loving the game that you are working on is really important. Giving that chance was completely correct. But the mess in the process could have been avoided. I thank Roger, Bob, Craig and Mark for giving us the opportunity to work on the game I like.

I love the idea of CELLBLOCK and I am all set to create an awesome game now.

No comments:

Post a Comment